Some call it the “poorman’s” version of pecan pie. Others say it’s a southern treasure. Before there was peanut butter, the peanut had a history of its own, just like the pie.
Background Of A Peanut
First off, the peanut is not a nut. The peanut is actually a legume that originated in South America. It arrived in North America by way of Africa, where peanuts are originally called goobers or nguba. Because peanuts grow on bushes close to the ground, they took on the name and are sometimes called groundnuts.
Easy as pie!
This droolworthy peanut butter pie baked by stoners for stoners is made from scratch with just a few pantry staples.
Easy Peasy Peanut Butter PieCourse: Eat
350g savoury crackers (such as Salticrax)
6 tbls light brown sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
170g unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
160g light brown sugar
1 large egg
270g smooth peanut butter
1 pinch flaky salt, plus more for sprinkling
- To make the pie crust: add the crackers to a big bowl and crush with your hands. They should be finely crushed, but not like flour. Add the brown sugar and salt and stir to combine. Add the butter and knead until the mixture is well combined.
- Place the mixture into a 23cm pie pan and use your hands to pat into a compact crust.
Stick in the freezer until it’s frozen and firm (at least 20 minutes.) While the crust is freezing, heat the oven to 180°C and make the peanut butter filling.
- Combine the brown sugar and egg in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the peanut butter with a rubber spatula until totally smooth.
- Add the filling to the frozen crust. Use an offset spatula to spread it evenly, so it totally fills the pie. Sprinkle generously with flaky salt.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating halfway through, until the crust is golden brown, and the peanut butter filling is starting to brown.
- Let the pie cool at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours before serving. You can cover it with foil after a few hours, or whenever it’s cool to the touch.
Pingback: Baked Goods: The History of Pies - Stoned Citizen