Why do we love fried chicken so much? Well, the answer to this question will be revealed when you try Chef Bertus Basson’s flippin’ phenomenal buttermilk fried chicken recipe.
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN. AROMAT!
- Chicken, jointed – 1,5kg
- Oil – 2,5L Marinade
- Buttermilk – 400g
- Cayenne – 5g
- Paprika – 15g
- Salt – pinch
- Crushed Garlic – 5g
- Flour Dredge Flour – 300g
- Cornflour – 120g
- Ground Cumin – 5g
- White pepper – 5g
- Aromat – 10g
1. Mix the buttermilk, garlic, pinch of salt, cayenne and paprika. Add the chicken and mix well, cover and let rest for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
2. For dredge, mix flour, cornflour, cumin, white pepper, salt, aromat together with a whisk to distribute all the ingredients evenly.
3. Heat oil in a large pot to around 170 °C.
4. Drop marinaded chicken into the dredge one at a time and ensure it coat evenly.
5. Carefully place chicken into hot oil, test oil by dipping a piece in the oil first, then cook for about 15 minutes.
6. Remove when golden brown and crispy onto a wire rack to cool and drip excess oil.
7. Season with aromat to finish while still hot.