Dopey doughnut holes are donut holes loaded with cannabis sugar and cannabis-infused coconut oil. They are bitesize balls of deliciously flavoured and deep-fried sweet dough, rolled in cannabis sugar and enjoyed while they are still a little bit warm.
Doughnuts are a type of fried sweet dough confection. They are popular in many countries and prepared in various forms, they can be filled and almost always glazed. ‘Donut’ is a shortened Americanized word for ‘doughnut’ and is widely accepted in American and Canadian English. These delicious treats can be purchased at bakeries, supermarkets, food stalls and speciality vendors, BUT they are super easy to make.
One of the first times the word doughnut was mentioned was in the 1809 book; A History of New York, from the Begining of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty by Washington Irving. It eloquently defines the word; “[…] it was always sure to boast of an enormous dish of balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog’s fat, and called dough-nuts, or oly koeks: a delicious kind of cake, at present scarce known in this city, excepting in genuine Dutch families”.
There are many different types of doughnuts, they are usually fried, but can be baked. The dough is usually flour-based and contains water, leavening, eggs, milk, sugar, oil, shortening, and flavours. Although there are many different recipes, these basic ingredients are normally used in some ratio. Once cooked the doughnut can be glazed with sugar icing, spread with icing or chocolate or topped with powder sugar, cinnamon, sprinkles or fruits.
Doughnuts are typically ring-shaped but they could be a number of different designs without a hole, these can be injected with fruit jams, custard or other flavoured sweet fillings. Ring doughnuts are formed in one of two ways. The first method is by joining the ends of a long skinny piece of dough into a ring. The second technique cuts the out- and in-side shapes at the same time, naturally forming doughnut holes. Alternatively, a doughnut depositor places a circle of batter or liquid dough into the fryer
Proudly South African
In South Africa, we have a variation called the Koeksister which is an Afrikaner braided confectionery soaked in honey or syrup. Also, the more traditionally shaped doughnut; the Cape Malay Koesister which is soaked in spiced syrup and coated in coconut.
Dopey Doughnut Holes
Here is our recipe for Dopey Doughnut Holes, a cannabis-laced stoned citizen’s dream come true. Dopey Doughnuts are quick and easy to make and even easier to eat!
Dopey Doughnut HolesCourse: MunchiesDifficulty: Easy
- Pre-heat the oil in a medium sauce pan until it reaches 180 C.
- Mix the flour, cannabis sugar, baking powder and salt together in one bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk and cannabis-infused coconut oil together in another bowl.
- Slowly stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until it is well combined.
- Roll the dough into ½ tablespoon size balls, fry the balls a few at a time to make sure they have enough space around them to fry evenly.
- Fry the balls until golden brown on the bottom, then flip them over and cook the other side.
- Remove the cooked balls from the oil and allow the excess oil to drain on paper towel, roll the doughnuts in cannabis sugar while they are still warm.
These doughnuts pack a punch at the lower end of a medium edible high, you will be able to enjoy half a dozen over an hour or so.