A couple of weeks ago I was out on an afternoon hike with a friend of mine. Halfway to the summit, I am overcome by a dizzy spell realizing I have not stopped to eat anything that day. As luck would have it, my friend had these nifty straws filled with honey. Delicious cannabis honey straws! It gave me the boost I needed to reach the top, which was when the THC started working its magic. Cannabis honey sticks have become a trend with Stoned Citizens in recent years. We take a closer look at Nature’s Sweetener and make our own cannabis-infused honey with this DIY Cannabis Honey Sticks recipe.
A gift from the bees! Honey is a deliciously rich dark-gold viscous liquid that certain bees produce using the nectar gathered from flowers. It has a ton of health and wellness benefits, is known to treat wounds, has attractive chemical properties for baking and has a distinctive flavour as a sweetener. Honey is an antioxidant; packed full of vitamins, amino acids, organic acids, proteins and minerals. It is much healthier than refined sugar and is known to lower blood pressure and improves cholesterol.
This superfood is no new discovery, humans have used honey as food and medicine for thousands of years. A cave painting dating back 8000 years was discovered in Spain, the artwork depicts what looks to be a person harvesting honey. Because most micro-organisms do not grow in honey, it has the potential to go thousands of years without being spoilt.
There are some sources that suggest that cannabis-infused honey was used for its antibacterial properties as far back as the 4th century AD. Cannabis-infused honey is a medicine that is packed with all the healing properties of both honey and cannabis. Honey that has been infused with marijuana has been linked to weight loss and is an excellent elixir for fatigue, insomnia, coughing, memory issues, acid reflux, hangovers, acne, sinus issues, cuts and burns, dandruff, stress and anxiety.
CANNABIS HONEY STICKS
Commercial producers are pushing both CBD and THC variants of Cannabis Honey Sticks, for the Stoned Citizen on-the-go. The straw holds a portion of honey that has been infused with cannabis and they proved to be a healthy way to consume cannabis, without having to smoke it. Honey Straws fit in your backpack or pocket and is a great way to get a boost of energy and take your medicine, all on-the-go.
DIY HONEY STICKS
This could seem like a daunting task, but let me reassure you that it takes very little effort to make the Cannabis-infused honey. You may decide to skip this step altogether and store your infused honey in a jar, which is also perfect!
If you decide to take the plunge and try your hand at making Honey Sticks, you will need to gather some equipment. Clear straws, a syringe with a tip that fits into the straw, a candle and two pairs of pliers. You want to do this while the honey is slightly cooled but still runny and easy to work with. Hold the honey-filled syringe upright and fill the straw, leaving a 2cm space at the top. Use a set of plier to clamp down on this end while sealing the opposite side. Hold the open end over a lit candle until the plastic starts melting, before firmly sealing it with the second pair of pliers. Repeat the sealing process on the other end and voila! You have made your very own Cannabis Honey Sticks.
Cannabis Honey Sticks Are For The On-The-Go Stoned CitizenCourse: EdiblesCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
7g Cannabis, coarsely ground
- Heat the oven to 120 C.
- Decarboxylate the cannabis by baking it for 45 minutes, shake the tray about every 10 minutes.
- Combined the honey and decarboxylated cannabis in a bowl and place it over a pot of simmering water (aka double boiler).
- Regulate the temperature, keep an eye on the water level in the pot and top it up as needed.
- Simmer the honey mixture for an hour.
- Once the honey has cooled down a little, strain it through a cheesecloth to remove all the plant matter.
- If you are making straws, the cannabis honey is ready! Otherwise, it can be stored in a jar in the pantry. Make sure to label the jar with a THC warning.
- The honey will last a long time if it is kept sealed in a dark cupboard.
- The dosage will vary from person to person, we suggest starting with a tablespoon, which is 15ml. The golden rule of edibles is to always go low and go slow.
- It is very important to Decarboxylate your cannabis before use. During this process, the non-intoxicating THCA in the plant material is converted to THC, the cannabinoid responsible for the feeling of being high. When we smoke cannabis the heat ensures this conversion happens.